Posted by DOG HEIRS

15th Aug 2016

Grapes and Raisins TOXIC to DOGS!

Each week - WACKYwalk'r will bring you Pet Safety tips detailing safety precautions, good practice behaviors, and potentially deadly toxins to avoid.  In an effort to help you get the most out of your relationship with your four-legged friend, WACKYwalk'r will bring you clips and news articles from Pet Industry Experts from across the country.  Please read and share these potentially life saving pet safety tips with your friends.

         TIP #1 - Potentially Deadly

Grapes and Raisins - Eating as few as 4 to 5 grapes or raisins can be poisonous to a 20 pound (9 kg) dog, though the exact toxic dose will vary between dogs. Signs of toxicity occur within 24 hours and can start within few hours.

Symptoms: vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, abdominal pain, decreased urine production, weakness and "drunken" walking.

Possible Outcomes: Can cause irreversible damage to the kidneys, possibly resulting in death.

Action: Take your pet to your vet or emergency clinic. The vet may start by inducing vomiting, or the stomach might be pumped (gastric lavage). Treatment involves aggressive supportive care - particularly fluid therapy and medications.

This weeks tip comes from our friends over at Dog Heirs.  

Read the complete article by clicking the link below.